This week eleven former managers of Italian tyre giant Pirelli have been convicted of manslaughter over the deaths of some 20 workers who were exposed to asbestos.
A court in Milan gave the managers, which included two ex-CEOs, jail terms of up to seven years and eight months.
All eleven were Pirelli board members between 1979 and 1989 when, prosecutors said, workers were exposed to asbestos at the firm’s Milan factory.
Lawyers for Pirelli have said they will appeal against the convictions.
They said they were confident in how managers responded “on the basis of scientific evidence available to date”
All the workers died from tumours or lung disease that prosecutors said was linked to asbestos exposure.
Relatives for a number of the victims were in court and welcomed the convictions.
Most Recent News
- Happy New Year. 2021 Will Be Better 🌈🌈🌈 1 January 2021
- Asbestos Contamination in Bar Cellar from Fire in Stock Room 12 November 2020
- Asbestos Survey-Remove Hazardous Waste ( Strip Out )-Installation of Party Wall Protection-Demolition of Semi-detached Property. 16 June 2020
- Not much work but Glad to Help NHS 11 April 2020
- Party Wall Protection and Asbestos Strip Out. 1 March 2020
- Merry Christmas to All our Clients 25 December 2019
- Fire Damaged Property Insurance Claim 28 September 2019
- Reinspections and Asbestos Management Plans 6 April 2019